I’ve seen this healthy snack circulating on my Pinterest dash for a while now, but I finally tried them out myself thanks to the suggestion of a good friend and reader Sidney. She said they’re easily her new favorite healthy snack. I must say; they turned out wonderfully.
They’re simultaneously filling and light. The prep time was only about 10-15 minutes. Cook time was around 18 minutes including a flip halfway through.
I tried out four different spices including both sweet and savory. None of them turned out badly, but my favorites were the apple pie spice flavored ones and the curry ones.
- Sweet potatoes (one made about 25 chips)
- Coconut oil
- Spice of your choice (I separately used apple pie spice, curry spice, black pepper, and cumin)
- Wash the potato
- Peel the potato if preferred – but remember that skin is good as that’s where most of the nutrients are
- Oven at 400
- Finely slice the potato – the thinner the crispier
- Heat a spoonful of coconut oil in the microwave until melted
- Coat each side in oil
- Place on naked cookie sheet
- Sprinkle the spice of choice
- Cook 9 minutes and flip to cook for 9 more or until edges are crispy
- Nom (clarification for my mom – nom is the sound you make while eating, so it means eat and enjoy)
I followed this recipe. Laura used salt, grapeseed oil, and a mandolin slicer. This poor college girl went without salt, used the coconut oil as usual, and maneuvered a fancy ole kitchen knife. Figure out what is easiest and works best for you.
- Cut them into wedges because I prefer sweet potatoey substance over crispy chips
- Test out ginger spice
- Skip the peeling step and cook with the skins